This is a recipe given to me by a friend for Puerto Rican Eggnog or Coquito, the regular recipe is DELICIOUS, but not “Paleo” and has lots of sugar. This is my sugar detox alternative to the tasty drink.
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 14oz can coconut creme
- 2 14oz cans coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (or rum extract)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- coconut sugar (optional)
- In a double boiler, combine egg yolks and coconut milk; stirring constantly, cook until temperature reaches 160F. The mixture should thicken.
- Place coconut creme, water, vanilla and spices in a blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Pour warm egg and coconut mixture into blender and blend for 15 seconds.
- Pour into a glass container and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- When serving, top with nutmeg and 1/2 tsp coconut sugar (if you want it to be sweet)
COMMENTS: The drink will thicken by the next day, giving it the eggnog consistency. Add rum and sugar if you want to give it an extra kick…which is AMAZING. If you’re NOT interested in a totally “Paleo” version, replace 1 can of coconut milk with 1 can sweetened condensed milk. Lasts 5 days refrigerated.