I’ve always made my own teriyaki sauce, soy & brown sugar, it’s not hard. Since eating gluten-free as well as Paleo, I’ve come up with my own version of teriyaki sauce that seems to be a hit with my family called Paleaki. Made without brown sugar or soy, it’s super easy and can be made in a pinch.
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c coconut amino’s
- 1 c water
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp tapioca starch
- sesame seeds (optional)
STEP 1 – COOK THE CHICKEN
- Pre-heat oven to 375F; line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.
- In large bowl, season the chicken wings with the ground ginger and salt.
- Place wings on baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes, flip and cook for another 10-15 or until golden brown.
STEP 2 – MAKE THE PALEAKI SAUCE WHILE CHICKEN IS COOKING
- Place the coconut amino’s, honey, orange juice, ginger and 1/2 cup water in sauce pan and cook over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix tapioca starch and remaining water and whisk until the tapioca starch is completely dissolved. Add the mixture to the sauce.
- Continue to cook sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring to avoid burning. Remove from heat.
STEP 3 – COAT THE WINGS
- Keeping the wings on the lined baking sheet (just so there’s one less dish to clean), evenly coat sauce over wings.
STEP 4 – EAT THE WINGS
- Plate the wings and sprinkle with sesame seeds.