Let me start this off by informing you this was made for my 21 Day Sugar Detox, so this isn’t your typical sugary coffee cake. Now, that said I’ll get to the needless, yet brief, jabbering.
For many, Mothers Day means 1 day of sweets or some other treat, but for me it means my birthday is days away. This year is slightly different from the rest as I’ve decided to partake in another round of the 21 Day Sugar Detox. The detox happens during Mothers Day, my birthday and ends just after Memorial Day weekend. UGH! In preparation I started toying around with making some sort of dessert to satisfy my sweet tooth and came up with this Apple Spice Coffee Cake.
- 6 eggs
- 3 medium granny smith apples
- 1/2 c + 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1/3 c coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c walnuts, chopped
- Pre heat oven to 400F and lightly grease a cake pan that’s approximately 8″
- Core apples and place into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract to apple mixture and blend until thoroughly combined
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Pour apple mixture into flour mixture and using an electric mixture, mix ingredients together until smooth
- Once ingredients are well combined you can add the melted coconut oil and mix again
- Pour batter into cake pan and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts
- Place cake into oven and bake for 35 minutes (or until knife comes out clean from the center)
COMMENTS: If you’re looking for a sugary and sweet cake, unfortunately, this isn’t for you. This was made due to my sugar detox and after 6 days of no sugar, this was really sweet enough. IF you want to give it a shot, but unhappy with its lack of sugar, you can sprinkle the top with some coconut sugar or melted raw honey.