These bars were yet another quick fix to my sweet tooth during the 21 Day Sugar Detox. They’re not some award-winning bars, but are super quick and easy to make. Plus, due to their denseness they are surprisingly filling.
If you make them and they’re not your thing…meh…sorry. When the dessert bug hits you on a 21 DSD, you gotta do whatcha gotta do!
- 6 eggs
- 4 c shredded, granny smith apples (approx. 4 medium)
- 1 c coconut flour, sifted
- 1 c shredded coconut, unsweetened + 1/2 c reserved
- 1/2 c. coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Coconut Creme (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 400 F and lightly grease a cake pan that’s approximately 9×13 (no bigger)
- In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, cinnamon, all spice and sea salt
- Place eggs and coconut milk in large bowl and beat with electric mixer until they start to become slightly frothy
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and, using an electric mixer, blend together
- Stir the shredded apples and 1 c. shredded coconut into the batter
- Once ingredients are well combined you can add the melted coconut oil and mix again
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25 minutes
- Evenly sprinkle 1/2 c shredded coconut on top of bars and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes (or until knife comes out clean from the center)
COMMENTS: Technically this serves 4, seeing that you can have 1 green apple per day on the 21 Day Sugar Detox. If you can eat 1/4 of a pan, go for it! 😉 Use a smaller pan for a thicker bar. I chose a larger pan to make these thin so I could create little sandwiches with them and so they weren’t as cake like.