The other day a friend brought me a basket of figs she grew in her backyard. Of course I took them, thanked her, then thought “what the hell do I do with these?”. I’ve never cooked with figs before. There are tons of recipes out there for homemade fig newtons, bacon wrapped figs, fig jam, stewed figs, fig sorbet… I almost feel like Bubba Gump. Anyway, wanting to use these things immediately I decided to pair it with the ever popular bacon, but bacon wrapped figs just didn’t appeal to me. So, what to do?
Staring at the figs and bacon, waiting for them to tell me how they wanted to be eaten, it clicked! “Oh, a salad? You want to go on top of a salad? Booooring, but fine, if that’s what you want!.” Well, I wasn’t about to just throw sliced figs onto a salad, that would show no effort. So, I did the next best thing…FRIED THEM!
Figs fried in coconut oil and honey, paired with bacon on top of a bed of lettuce is incredibly simple to make, yet feels kinda sophisticated.
YIELDS APPROX 4 SALADS
- 4 figs, sliced into medallions (you choose thickness)
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tsp raw honey
- 8 slices bacon, cooked to your liking and crumbled
- 8 c. spinach, washed and chopped
- olive oil (optional)
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, combine coconut oil and honey and blend together, take about 2 minutes
- Add the figs to the coconut oil mixture and cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side
- Remove from pan and place on parchment paper (not paper towels)
- Plate the spinach, crumble 2 slices of bacon on top of each serving and add honeyed figs
- Drizzle with some olive oil if you like, but the oil on the figs and bacon end up working just fine for me
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW ONCE A DAY TO CAST YOUR VOTE FOR ME ON TOPMOMMYBLOGS.COM ONE CLICK IS ALL IT TAKES…NOTHING ELSE!