This summer I wasn’t the kindest to my body. Some people stay completely on top of their food and workout regimen to maintain their bikini body, clean eating, running daily, blah blah blah. However, I’m a tankini and board-short kinda girl. While on vacation I apparently enjoyed kalua pig, sweet potatoes and mug cakes a little more than usual. Not the worse foods I could have eaten, but I’m definitely not feeling my best, nor looking it.
Wanting to get back in shape after an indulgent summer I decided that today I’d start another round of the 21 Day Sugar Detox. For those of you not familiar, it’s a program that has been around for a while, that basically removes high amounts of carbs and refined sugar from your diet. My meals are loosely based around Diane Sanfalippo’s 21 Day Sugar Detox Program, she really lays out the basics and has 3 different levels to choose from.
Meals are the “detox” are fairly basic and you might take a look and say to yourself (or out loud) “NO DUH!”, but sometimes the most basic recipe ideas escape us and we just need a tiny reminder that meals do not need to be time-consuming or expensive.
- 1 c. butternut squash, cut into 1/2″ – 1″ chunks
- 4 oz. Italian sausage, casing removed (or ground meat of your choice)
- 1 c. fresh spinach (or 1/2 c. thawed)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (if you choose to use a lean meat)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Place squash and 2 Tbsp of water in a microwave safe bowl and cook squash chunks for 3 minutes or until slightly tender
- While squash is cooking, add meat to a skillet and brown
- Add cooked squash, spinach, coconut oil and seasoning to skillet
- Cook on medium heat until spinach is cooked through and squash has softened and has a nice brown to some of the edges
- Plate & eat