To have a meal plan, you have to plan. Don’t expect to wake up in the morning and have it all figured out. You’re going to need to shop or tweak recipes in order to suit your budget and/or tastes. Ideally, you want to start on a Sunday so you kind of know what to expect during the week. It also gives you time to change the menu. You can call Sunday a “run through”.
Be sure to read the Quick Paleo Start Up page first for info on the foods you should get rid of and ALL the foods you can eat.
The 7-Day Meal Plan below uses lots of interchangeable ingredients to minimize shopping. People tend to eat the same things over and over again out of convenience. I’ve laid out a few meal options to get you started.
7 DAY MEAL PLAN
|SUNDAY||Omelette Enchilada||Spicy Chicken & Kale Bowl||Cinnamon Granola & Berries||Roasted Chicken Thighs|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||OR Leftovers||Veggies & Guac||Baked Yuca Fries|
|MONDAY||Sweet Potato & Onion Tortilla Espanola||Large Salad (see below)||Apple & Raw Almonds||Stir-Fried Meat & Noodles|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||Apple Cinnamon Muffin||Veggies & Guac||OR Leftovers|
|TUESDAY||Apple Cinnamon Muffin OR Eggs||Salad & Muffin||Fruit & Raw Almond Butter (or Raw Almonds)||TACO TUESDAY Grilled meat (or veggies) w/ taco seasoning. Wrapped in lettuce.|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||OR Leftovers||Fruit Salad|
|WEDNESDAY||Sweet Potato & Onion Tortilla Espanola||Stir-Fried Meat & Noodles||Cinnamon Granola & Berries||Meat & Veggies|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||OR Leftovers||Veggies & Guac||w/ Thai Almond Sauce|
|THURSDAY||Apple Cinnamon Muffin OR Eggs||Salad & Muffin||Fruit & Raw Almond Butter (or Raw Almonds)||Spaghetti Squash w/ Meat Sauce|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||OR Leftovers||Veggies & Guac||OR Leftovers|
|FRIDAY||Sweet Potato & Onion Tortilla Espanola||Salad & Muffin||Cinnamon Granola & Berries||Meat & Veggies|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||OR Leftovers||Apple & Raw Almond Butter||Fruit Salad|
|SATURDAY||Banana Pancakes||Lettuce wrapped chicken & guacamole||Apple & Raw Almonds||Hamburger Patty, Sweet Potato &|
|Nitrate-Free Bacon||Fruit Salad||Veggies & Guac||Simple Apple Slaw|
MEALS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE
|SALAD – Romain lettuce, lots of your favorite veggies, protein (seafood, beef, poultry and/or egg) with a side of red wine, balsamic or apple cider vinegar for dressing. Add 1-2 tsp of raw honey or grade B maple syrup to the vinegar for sweetness.|
|MEAT- You’ll notice I leave the protein choice open for the most part. Use the meat you prefer (chicken, seafood, beef etc) or have available.|
DON’T underestimate your need for snacks at first. Your body is going to be wondering wear all the junk is. Be prepared and keep plenty of snacks on hand. Stash items in a bag, desk, glove compartment…EVERYWHERE!
- Larbar (no peanut or cashew)
- Raw unsalted almonds (portion them out so you don’t go hog wild)
- Fruit (and almonds or almond butter)
- Beef jerky (gluten-free)
- Hardboiled eggs
- Sliced meat (Applegate brand is ideal) & Veggies
- Trader Joe’s Plaintain Chips (ok, they’re only Paleo-ish, but a great starter snack)
OPTIONAL MEAL IDEAS:
- Grilled meat, veggies covered in marinara sauce
- Eggs (scrambled, over easy, hardboiled, etc), broccoli and/or spinach and meat
- Frittata (Veggie, Hawaiian, all meat…you choose)
- Applegate all beef franks & fruit salad
- In-N-Out hamburger, protein style, raw onion, extra tomato with mustard instead of sauce…NO FRIES even if they are “Animal-Style”! If you want fries, make your own. Try Yuca Fries, they’re a great alternative.
NEXT comes shopping. I’ve listed the items you will need for the above plan. Modify the plan and list according to your budget. Some of these items will only need to be purchased on occasion. Produce and meat are a weekly thing and quantity is dependent on your appetite.
|Bacon Nitrate Free 1-2lbs|
|Almond Butter Raw Unsalted|
|Almond Flour – Fine Grind|
|Almonds Whole Raw Unsalted|
|Coconut Shredded Unsweetened|
|Maple Syrup Grade B|
|Spaghetti Squash 2-3lbs|
|Sweet Potatos 2lbs|
NOW, the prep work. Use the weekend to prepare your meals in advance. If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail!
- Cook some of the meat, especially anything for your lunch
- Cook spaghetti squash and place in a container until you’re ready to use
- Portion out your snacks (remember to have lots handy)
- Bake muffins & bread
- Cook bacon (it will store for the week)
- Quick trick – Preheat oven to 350, Line baking sheet with tin foil, place bacon on the sheet and cook for 20-25 minutes. You can save the grease in a glass jar to cook with later.
LASTLY, eventually you will begin to shift your idea of breakfast, lunch and dinner to meal 1, 2 and 3. Once this happens, it will make it much easier to grab any of the new clean foods stocked in your home and eat on the run. Remember, if crap food isn’t around, you’re not going to eat it.
This shouldn’t be a chore or some new horrible experience your being dragged into. Find what works best for you and ENJOY!